29 janeiro 2023

Love bade me welcome

George Herbert

Love bade me welcome: yet my soul drew back,
   Guiltie of dust and sinne.
But quick-ey’d Love, observing me grow slack
   From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning,
   If I lack’d any thing.

A guest, I answer’d, worthy to be here:
   Love said, You shall be he.
I the unkinde, ungratefull? Ah my deare,
   I cannot look on thee.
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
   Who made the eyes but I?

Truth Lord, but I have marr’d them: let my shame
   Go where it doth deserve.
And know you not, sayes Love, who bore the blame?
  My deare, then I will serve.
You must sit down, sayes Love, and taste my meat:
  So I did sit and eat.

Fonte (v. 17-18): Carpeaux, O. M. 2011. História da literatura ocidental, vol. 2, 4ª ed. Brasília, Senado Federal. Poema publicado em livro em 1633. Referido também como ‘Love (III)’, este é o terceiro de três poemas publicados com o título de ‘Love’.

0 Comentários:

Postar um comentário

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker